Freeman's is a venerable organization, whose success is due in no small part to the dedication of our employees. Our staff members, from our knowledgeable client services team to our internationally recognized specialists, are all passionate about the work we do here at Freeman's. We share a commitment to providing the very best in customer service, professional integrity, and an enthusiasm for the auction business.
A family run business since 1805, Freeman’s holds tradition close, yet a progressive mindset towards marketing and promotion, along with access to a team of top experts in the auction business. With international experience and comprehensive knowledge of market conditions, the specialists at Freeman’s, work closely with consignors and collectors to offer unparalleled service in the sale and purchase of fine art, antiques, jewelry, books and more.
Please note, international applicants must have the appropriate documentation allowing them to work in the region where they are applying. Freeman's regrets that unless otherwise stated in the application process, we are unable to assist in the application of visas or work permits if you do not possess these documents at the time of application.
Unless otherwise stated in the description, all positions are based at our main location in Philadelphia.
Art Handler Crew Member (Part Time)
The successful candidate is responsible for assisting with the safe and efficient movement of all property flowing through the loading dock, specialist departments, photo studio and exhibition/sale rooms: unloading, unpacking and receiving of incoming consignments, setting up and breaking down exhibitions and auctions, assisting clients with the packing and removal of purchases. Travel with staff or Crew Members to make deliveries and pick-ups of consigned items. Act as a crew team member to assist with building and custodial maintenance, projects and other duties as assigned. Must have a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License. This is a part- time/on call position.
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Fine Art Registrar
Primary point of contact for the Fine Art Department responsible for the management of the day-to-day administration and all aspects of art handling for the Fine Art departments. This includes management of incoming consignments, client communications, preparation of required documentation, preliminary condition reports, related database entry, coordination of exhibitions & auction set-ups, coordination of catalogue & marketing production schedules and general administrative tasks. Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- Coordinate with clients, shippers, Specialists & Operations department to insure the safe and efficient receipt, processing, movement and storage of all inbound and outbound property handled by the Fine Art Department.
- Manage local, domestic & international shipping including preparation of all required documentation & insurance.
- Record, daily, all required information into the database, including incoming condition reports, property status & location codes. Affix all inventory identification & lotting tags to property.
- Maintain communications with clients to include contracts, pre & post sale reports, and other general communications.
- Working with Specialist, marketing & business development departments create manage and implement event, exhibition, and auction set-up schedules.
- Establish and implement best practices for the manual handling of property, inventory integrity and storage methods.
- Other duties and projects as assigned by Manager.
- Two (2) years of Art Handling and/or Auction House/Gallery administration experience.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast-paced environment and remain calm under pressure.
- Exceptional organizational and problem solving skills.
- Must be conversant with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Outlook, Word & Excel.
- General bending, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, and overall material handling using the proper lifting/moving techniques.
Please send your resume and cover letter via email to Shannon Jeffers ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
No phone calls, please.
Freeman’s offers department internships throughout the year to provide hands-on experience and an in depth understanding of the fast-paced nature of the auction business.
The duration and start time of these internships vary, depending on the needs of the department to which you are applying. In general, internships last approximately four months or the duration of one school semester. Internships are open to students currently enrolled in college (either undergrad or graduate programs), or recent graduates looking to expand their experience.
Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Office, possess excellent written and oral communication skills, be willing to work hard and get dirty, and have a passion for the business of fine art and antiques. For work with certain departments, special consideration will be given to applicants with a fluency in Chinese, Japanese, French, Arabic, or Russian.
Interns will be asked to perform a variety of duties, including providing general administrative support, special research projects, assisting the department with cataloging of property, providing excellent customer service to consignors and buyers, and working to help set up and break down sale exhibitions.
Those who are eligible to receive academic credit must provide written confirmation on university letterhead at the start of their internship. Freeman's will work with universities directly to provide the appropriate documentation needed in order to receive credit. There is no salary or stipend available for interns at Freeman's, nor is there any guarantee of employment once an internship is complete.
The departments and areas of specializations are as follows:
- Furniture & Decorative Arts; American, British, European and 20th Century Design
- Asian Arts
- Modern & Contemporary Art
- Fine Art: American Art & Pennsylvania Impressionist Paintings, Old Master & European Paintings
- Jewelry & Watches
- Marketing & Public Relations
- Books, Maps & Manuscripts
- Trusts & Estates and Appraisal Services
To apply please submit a current resume along with a personal statement of no more than 500 words outlining your academic and professional goals to email@example.com. Your statement must indicate your department(s) of interest and detail how you might be an asset to them. Please also include the date range you will be available for an internship. All internships are based out of our main office in Philadelphia.